At Semantics 21 (or S21, in short), we are on a mission “to develop world-class digital forensics software to uncover, detect and connect data in complex criminal investigations”. To help us accomplish our mission, we are expanding our team and are looking for enthusiastic AI Solutions Developers who enjoy solving problems by thinking outside the box, without limitations, and are happy to learn new skills or acquire new expertise. We are looking for the kind of people who want to do all the above while producing new technology which will have a significant positive impact on the lives or work of real people (notably, child victims of crime, and law enforcement investigators).
We are looking for the best; those who can produce novel solutions which leverage advances in artificial intelligence, coupled to the growing availability of data and the increasing computing power of machines, together with the available best-practice in digital forensics.
About the work
Main outputs: AI is at the core of what we do here at S21, and as an AI Solutions Developer, we invite you to work with our team of experts to create a new generation of sector-leading intelligent tools. These tools will empower investigators based in law enforcement or associated agencies; boosting them with the capability to conduct reliable, comprehensive and fast forensics investigations of digital media artefacts — predominantly in the form of image or video data, but also audio or text data. Your efforts will put new tools in the hands of investigators, enabling them to work faster, complete more cases reliably, and make informed decisions or recommendations which are based on deeper insights into the evidence and on more accurate information.
Key responsibilities: You will work within a team, to do what you do best: research, conceive and build new AI models; evaluate the accuracy of the models; and create tools which support the deployment of the models by integrating them within production-grade commercial software.
Location: When required, you shall work from our main offices, located in Stafford, UK. Work from home may be permitted, subject to prior agreement with Semantics 21. If required, you will attend meetings or other events held on external sites; this may include travel overseas.
Start date: As soon as possible. You will be joining Semantics 21 at a challenging time, as the world is still in the grip of the COVID-19 pandemic, but this is also an exciting time, as we continue to propel ourselves further ahead of the curve, by producing innovative technology and products.
Employment type: This is a full-time position.
We are looking for self-motivated individuals who:
- can produce new AI models and evaluate their accuracy.
- can create tools to support the deployment of AI models.
- have hands-on experience of producing AI models.
- possess in-depth understanding of current approaches and techniques in AI (including its subsets such as machine learning, natural language processing, …) — for example: deep learning, reinforcement learning, Probabilistic Graphical Models, Bayesian networks, knowledge graphs, …
- possess strong software engineering skills, to be deployed across the full software development life cycle, including strong object-oriented design skills.
- have solid programming experience in at least one relevant language (such as Python, Java, …) and familiarity with the associated AI or machine learning platforms or toolkits; coupled to a good knowledge of software performance optimisation techniques.
- can adapt to technology changes and can deal with ambiguity, as they arise in the context of ambitious enterprises, like ours.
- can think big, free from the shackles of conventional dogma.
- can thrive in a collaborative and collegiate environment of a relatively young but established start-up company; with their own independence of mind to propose and shape new ideas.
For these vacancies, although a postgraduate degree will be an added advantage, we believe that experience, skills, and expertise matter the most.
About Semantics 21® Ltd
As an industry leader who produces innovative technology, Semantics 21 embeds cutting-edge technology into solutions which address the need for advanced software in digital forensics investigations of images and videos. Constantly at the forefront in research and development, Semantics 21 delivers state-of-the-art solutions which empower investigators to
Find trusted evidence, faster;
for fairer and timely justice,
throughout the world.
The high capability of the company, to develop novel technology and make innovative products has been recognised through multiple prestigious awards. Testament to our passion for doing cutting-edge research, we were honoured with a much coveted ‘Queen’s Award for Enterprise’, in recognition for our excellence in innovation. We also won a ‘Science, Technology and Innovation Award’, which was awarded by Staffordshire Chambers of Commerce.
Our in-house R&D team ensures that everything, from our user interface through to our bespoke AI, is designed to enable investigators maximise their productivity whilst performing a comprehensive investigation. Our R&D team includes people from a variety of academic backgrounds, including doctorate-level education and professorial work.
As a company, we have made a firm commitment to helping protect the public, especially children, and safeguard the mental wellbeing of investigators. We are also resolutely committed to the personal development and wellbeing of our internal team – we want to inspire and challenge them. We provide an exciting workplace for the ‘best of the best’ to excel in.